Inspired by a recipe from The Cafe Pongo Cookbook by Valerie Nehez, Kay KD2UEP adds blueberries and uses a greased, hot, cast iron pan to produce this tasty offering.
1 cup all-purpose flour
¾ cup coarse yellow cornmeal
6 table spoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup milk
1 large egg
6 tablespoons melted butter or lard
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Toss together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl.
3. Whisk together the milk and egg. Pour the egg mixture and melted butter into the dry ingredients and mix only until blended. Don’t overmix.
4. Pour the mixture into a 9-inch cast-iron skillet (or an 8-inch square baking pan).
5. If you heat the skillet before you put the batter in, you’ll give th corn bread a nice crust.
Bake until light brown about 20-25 minutes.